how to buy a
property in Spain
We will guide you every step of the way
Whether you’re dreaming of buying an apartment, villa or townhouse in Spain, this guide to buying a Spanish property explains every step.
• Work out your budget.
• Discover which locations in Spain suit your criteria and budget using our area guides
• Sign up to SHORELINE PROPERTIES so that you don’t miss out on any new Spanish properties.
• Compile a shortlist of the Spanish properties you like by using Add to favourites.
• You can find your favourite properties again later by logging in and selecting Favourites.
• Use the Make an enquiry button to get in touch with the estate agents in Spain to find out more information and arrange viewings.
• Arrange to visit the area you want to buy.
• Make sure you view several properties before you decide which one to buy.
• Start the application process for your NIE number.
• Open a bank account in Spain.
• Find an independent, bilingual solicitor to make legal enquiries on your behalf.
• Check the property is authorised for sale – your solicitor will help with this.
• Check there are no charges or fees outstanding on the property.
• Check that the person selling the property is the legal owner – get your solicitor to help with this too.
• Agree with your seller who pays which taxes.
• Sign the deposit contract and pay 10%
• Sign the title of the deed with a public notary.
• Pay the outstanding money owed.
• Pay the correct taxes.
• Register your new property with the land registry
• Consider making a will to takes care of your Spanish property.
• Get some advice on tax liability in Spain and back home.